“A Dental Implant is the closest thing we have to a natural tooth”.
Dr Branemark is credited as being the inventor of the modern Dental Implant. In 1965 he placed his first titanium Dental Implant. Since then dental implants have developed into a proven and tested dental treatment procedure to replace a missing tooth or teeth.
The components of an Implant are the “root”, also called fixture (which is usually made out of titanium) and the crown (which is made out of a combination of metal and ceramic). The titanium “root” is inserted into the jaw bone and gradually fuses to the jaw bone naturally. Once this happens a crown can then be placed on top of it thereby giving it the appearance of a natural tooth.
Some of the benefits of Dental Implants:
- Can replace your missing tooth/ teeth, thereby restoring your smile.
- Are fixed in your mouth and unlike dentures don’t need to be removed at night.
- Are more conservative and cost effective in the long term than bridges as they don’t involve the teeth on either side of the gap.
- Distribute your chewing more evenly, thereby helping to protect your existing teeth.
- Are normally easier to adjust to than removable dentures, which need an adjustment period especially in regard to pronouncing words.
- Help you to enjoy the foods you love without hesitation. You can bite naturally unlike with removable dentures which can feel uncomfortable.
- Are the only dental restoration option that help to prevent bone loss in the space they are placed. Leaving empty spaces in your mouth after losing one or more teeth can lead to the loss and deterioration of some of your jawbone.
Contact us today so you too can smile with confidence!